Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The build up. 01/02/2011

At last I am working on the building jig. As you will notice I just used scrap material for the profiles. To date the only timber I have purchased is the plywood and Radiata Pine stringers.

To install the first chine stringer I made 30mm cuts into the stringer at 150mm intervals for the full length of the stringer. This made the bend very easy.

To locate the stringer position acurately I screwed blocks at the point where the frames would lie when installed. The blocks were removed as soon as the stringer was clamped and screwed.

The bow end showing the cut to make room for the beam.
I also laminated the timber for the rudder today. I used Douglas Fir from an old crate plus one length of Tasmanian Mytle hardwood for the leading edge. I would like to thank Michael Polson for the use of his thicknesser to shape the Tasmanian timbers I am using in the boat, including a piece of Huron Pine. All of the Tasmanian timber came from my mate Eric Alcock who is currently dying of Cancer. I hope the boat will be a tribute to Eric who I have know for 50 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment